Thursday 22 September 2011

Is that my job?

Every day I get asked to do a wide variety of stuff, some of which is very clearly a part of my job, but some of which really isn't. So, I present:

Stuff that's my job
  • Preparing equipment for practical physics lessons and ensuring that it's in the right room at the right time.
  • Repairing any bits of equipment which get broken. (Mainly changing batteries and fuses, sometimes a bit of soldering)
  • Sourcing new equipment and dealing with ordering.
  • Managing the budget
  • Trialling new experiments eg ISA practicals
  • Helping out in the lab during practicals
  • Demoing experiments during lessons
  • First Aid

Stuff that's not my job, but which I still get asked to do
  • Booking plane tickets
  • Invigilating exams when they can't find anyone else
  • Contacting kids' parents
  • Entering exam results onto the system
  • Photocopying
  • Setting work when a teacher is away but hasn't sorted out any cover
  • Taking phone messages from my HoD's wife
And today's prize example - find out where the course is which my HoD is supposed to be on. Seiously, he called me at 9.15 to ask me to log on to his e-mails and check the venue for his course because he'd forgotten to write it down. Sometimes I despair.

No comments:

Post a Comment